Amanda Daly

Amanda Daly
I've been passionately working with fabric for more than 25 years . . . relax with me as you read about my life and my quilts

Thursday 7 May 2009

Decluttering

I've been flat out for months now, becoming far more involved in the lives of family members and their problems than has been good for me. Consequently I've had precious little time to spend quilting. Blogging has also suffered and I haven't been a particularly happy or healthy camper.

The problems I've been helping others to face won't be going away any time soon, so I've been taking stock of my life and with the aid of Peter Walsh, author of a couple of books I've been reading whenever I managed to have 10 minutes for myself. "Does this clutter make my butt look fat" and "Enough Already" have helped me to put things into perspective just a little and I'm now decluttering both my house and my inner self.

In an effort to take control of my life, I've started to declutter our house, I'm in the process of throwing away all sorts of junk that I've accumulated over the years and in an effort to declutter my emotions, I'm busily engaged in handing problems back to the people who actually own them. It's very liberating, I should have done it years ago.

Of course I can still be involved and caring but not totally consumed by the seemingly insurmountable problems facing my some of my relies. I've started to get more sleep, I feel more relaxed and as soon as I declutter my work room and make it into a really efficient and workable space I'll be able to get back to my sewing machine.

One of Peter Walsh's suggested strategies for anyone who might think they are just too busy to declutter, is to throw something out every day. Literally every time you walk in through the door, find something you don't use and throw it out. It you don't know it to be useful or belive it to be beautiful, you just don't need it in your life.

I feel so much better now that I've started on my decluttering path. If your life could do with a little decluttering - read the books.

1 comment:

Erica Spinks said...

Brave steps, Amanda. Good luck with reclaiming your life.