Amanda Daly

Amanda Daly
I've been passionately working with fabric for more than 25 years . . . relax with me as you read about my life and my quilts

Monday 2 May 2011

The Seven Deadly Sins


I didn't have time to go to the AQC in Melbourne this year. I usually manage to find time to fly down there even if just for the day, but my teaching schedule, my husbands 60th birthday and Easter all made sure that I wouldn't be able to get there this year.

I was represented though by my entry in the themed challenge "The Seven Deadly Sins" My entry was based on the sin of "Greed" and how this sin underpinned the Global Financial Crisis. The quilt was made in layers with the map of the world going down first and covered with white netting to give it a misty, distance look and the crashing dollars, city etc over the top. All raw edge appliqued and extensively free machine quilted. The man at the bottom sweeping up the reduced value $'s is a silhouette taken from a photo I took of my long suffering husband with a broom, he was endlessly patient with me while I took pics from every angle.

I'm looking forward to seeing the other 30 quilts in the exhibition alongside The Quilters' Guild of NSW quilt show in Darling Harbour from June 22nd - 26th. Go to the guild's web site for more information - there's a link a the bottom of this page.

1 comment:

Brenda Gael Smith said...

I missed AQC this year too. Congratulations on your selection. I look forward to seeing your quilt (and the other finalists) at the Sydney Quilt Show.